Indian Institute of Science Education and Research
Chemical Biology: Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Biophysics, Self-assemblies
We use simple physical organic concepts to develop tools to assess structure, dynamics and function of nucleic acids in cell-free and complex cellular environments. In this direction, we have initiated two research programs. One involves the development of minimally perturbing and conformation-sensitive multi-app nucleoside probes for studying nucleic acids in real time by fluorescence, in 3D by X-ray crystallography and in cells by NMR. In the second program, we establish methods to label nucleic acids with variety of functionalities by using bioorthogonal chemistry like click and metal-catalyzed reactions. In parallel, we are also interested in developing multifunctional nucleolipid conjugates that self-assemble into nanofibres, nanotubes and gels. These assemblies show aggregation-induced fluorescence, self-sorting behavior and surface-switchable properties. Our research is multidisciplinary in nature involving synthetic organic chemistry, biophysics, molecular, cell and structural biology.
Youtube video of our research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFzZjauYl8
Dr. S. G. Srivatsan
Wellcome Trust/DBT India Senior Fellow
Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan
Congratulations to Sudeshna Manna for receiving her Ph. D. degree (April 2019)
Srivatsan extends his sincere thanks to all the former and present members of his laboratory for their immense contribution, which has lead to national and international recognition:
1. CDRI awards 2019 for Excellence in Drug Research
2. Editorial Advisory Board member of ACS Bioconjugate Chemistry
Congratulations to Sudeshna Manna for publishing her research on determining nucleic acid structure in cells (JACS 2018, doi: 10.1021/jacs.8b08436)
Congratulations to Manisha Walunj for publishing her research on labeling RNA oligonucleotides by using Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling reaction (Nucleic Acids Research, 2018, doi: 10.1093/nar/gky185)
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale for his cover page article in ChemBioChem 2018, doi: 10.1002/cbic.201700661
Congratulations to N. Ashok and Pramod Sabale for receiving their Ph. D. degree in the Convocation held in May 2018
See our latest articles
1. A Dual-app nucleoside probe provides structural insights into the human telomeric overhang in live cells. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b08436.
Congratulations to Sudeshna Manna
2. Probing the competition between duplex and G-quadruplex/i-motif structures using a conformation-sensitive fluorescent nucleoside probe. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2018, 16, 4141-4150.
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale and Arun Tanpure
3. Posttranscriptional labeling by using Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling generates functional RNA probes. Nucl. Acid. Res. 2018, 46, e65. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gky185.
Congratulations to Manisha Walunj and Arun Tanpure
4. A Lucifer-based environment-sensitive fluorescent PNA probe for imaging poly(A) RNAs. ChemBioChem 2018, 19, 826-835 (cover page article).
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale and Uddhav Ambi
5. Structure of the ribosomal decoding site RNA containing a Se-modified responsive fluorescent ribonucleoside probe. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 2640-2644.
Congratulations to Ashok and Mark