Indian Institute of Science Education and Research
Chemical Biology: Nucleic Acid Chemistry, Biophysics, Self-assemblies
We use simple physical organic concepts to develop tools to assess structure, dynamics and function of nucleic acids in cell-free and complex cellular environments. In this direction, we have initiated two research programs. One involves the development of minimally perturbing and conformation-sensitive multi-app nucleoside probes for studying nucleic acids in real time by fluorescence, in 3D by X-ray crystallography and in cells by NMR. In the second program, we establish methods to label nucleic acids with variety of functionalities by using bioorthogonal chemistry like click and metal-catalyzed reactions. In parallel, we are also interested in developing multifunctional nucleolipid conjugates that self-assemble into nanofibres, nanotubes and gels. These assemblies show aggregation-induced fluorescence, self-sorting behavior and surface-switchable properties. Our research is multidisciplinary in nature involving synthetic organic chemistry, biophysics, molecular, cell and structural biology.
Our research interest in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFzZjauYl8
Dr. S. G. Srivatsan
Wellcome Trust/DBT India Senior Fellow
Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan
Congratulations to Sudeshna Manna for publishing her research on determining nucleic acid structure in cells (JACS 2018, doi: 10.1021/jacs.8b08436)
Congratulations to Manisha Walunj for publishing her research on labeling RNA oligonucleotides by using Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling reaction (Nucleic Acids Research, 2018, doi: 10.1093/nar/gky185)
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale for his cover page article in ChemBioChem 2018, doi: 10.1002/cbic.201700661
Congratulations to N. Ashok and Pramod Sabale for receiving their Ph. D. degree in the Convocation held in May 2018
See our latest articles
1. A Dual-app nucleoside probe provides structural insights into the human telomeric overhang in live cells. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.8b08436.
Congratulations to Sudeshna Manna
2. Probing the competition between duplex and G-quadruplex/i-motif structures using a conformation-sensitive fluorescent nucleoside probe. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2018, 16, 4141-4150.
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale and Arun Tanpure
3. Posttranscriptional labeling by using Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling generates functional RNA probes. Nucl. Acid. Res. 2018, 46, e65. DOI: 10.1093/nar/gky185.
Congratulations to Manisha Walunj and Arun Tanpure
4. A Lucifer-based environment-sensitive fluorescent PNA probe for imaging poly(A) RNAs. ChemBioChem 2018, 19, 826-835 (cover page article).
Congratulations to Pramod Sabale and Uddhav Ambi
5. Structure of the ribosomal decoding site RNA containing a Se-modified responsive fluorescent ribonucleoside probe. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 2640-2644.
Congratulations to Ashok and Mark