The computing facility and IT infrastructure at IISER Pune caters to the requirements of all the faculty, students and staff. The institute has a robust data center comprising servers and high-end work stations for various system administration services. This is apart from the large number of PCs and workstations that serve personal computing requirements.
Networks and IT Security
- Robust three-tier network spanning across the campus for connectivity to desktops/laptops across laboratories and offices
- Access to all facilities virtually to researchers on the move through VPN services and member of the EDUROAM international network, in addition to point-to-point connectivity for optimal utility of scientific resources
- Dedicated leased line of 1 Gbps National Knowledge Network and 300 Mbps for seamless and uninterrupted Internet access, Institute infrastructure based services, distance education and connectivity to distributed computing resources
- Adequate perimeter protection to the campus wide network with state of the art active-active configured redundant security appliances catering to an aggregated data exchange of approximately 20 TB/day serving around more than 3000 active devices, which are secure and protected endpoints
- A comprehensive as well as a balanced IT and security policy with ensured compliance adherence to it on an ongoing basis
- a Seamless dual band campus wide Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) access network with adherence to 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac standards
- Centrally controlled light weight Wi-Fi access points with wireless LAN controller catering to all buildings in the campus
- Outdoor wireless zones created at select locations for continued seamless internet connectivity in the campus
- Campus wide Local Area Network with connection of core switch to the distribution and access switches on a 1G fiber backbone with a total wired network access ports exceeding 8000
- Voice over IP infrastructure having a capacity of 1000 lines with approximately 600 phones
- Student's hostel has wired LAN connectivity in each room with Wi-Fi enabled common areas
- In-house maintained Government of India compliant IISER Pune web portal, IISER System portal, recruitment software module, PhD, integrated PhD admission software, IISER admission software, two step payment gateway, bulk messaging service, Intranet, INFLIBNET Library server and webmail server
- Central repository of infrastructure software along with license details as well as scientific software to serve the needs of users
- Institute wide deployment of "iisERP" integrated institute management system deployed with HRMS, purchase indenting, finance, projects, guest-house booking, visitor management, vehicle booking etc.
- Asset management software along with bar code deployed for all the assets of the Institute with regular audits thereof
- Dining areas have a facility of fully automated software system deployed across all the outlets for digital payments
- Institute's own mobile application for reminders, assignments, examination invigilation/reminders, notices, seminar/colloquium updates etc.
- Modern classrooms, some of them equipped with clicker voting facility and state of the art multimedia support for an enhanced learning experience
- Videoconferencing/Video setup for distance learning and student support
- Digital signage and video wall display updated notices across all prominent locations in the campus
- State of the art auditorium with modern audio video setup along with webcasting facility to stream hosted events
Computing and High Performance Storage
- Multiple fully equipped e-classrooms to simulate live classroom experience with other Institutes for daily classes
- Multiple computer laboratories with central server and storage, visualisation facility along with virtual reality setup for hands-on training, round the clock
- High performance computing and parallel file system based storage hosted in multiple data centers aggregating 400 TF and 700 TB for various scientific and research applications in the areas of computational biology, particle physics, astrophysics, computation chemistry, materials modeling, molecular dynamics, nanoparticles, cryptography, seismology, climate science etc.
- Additionally, various test beds, proof of concepts, innovative solutions are part of the Center of Excellence in computing, Artificial Intelligence and emerging technologies
- Institute hosts a National Supercomputing Mission funded facility, namely the PARAM Brahma of CPU and GPU compute aggregating 1.7 PF with high performance parallel file system based storage of 1 PB. The facility serves as a vital resource to cater to the ever growing needs of HPC, AI, DL, ML and Big data users.