**The department of Humanities and Social Sciences is not admitting students for January 2023 session**
Admissions for PhD Programme in Humanities and Social Sciences - August 2022
The admission procedure for the August 2022 batch has been completed.
History of Ideas, Modern Indian Political Thought, Gandhian Studies, Gender and Indian Politics, Social Movements and Indian Politics, multidimensional poverty and inequality, water management and livelihoods in agrarian and peri-urban areas Environmental Sociology, Political Ecology, Social Transformation, Urbanization, Sociology of Climate Change, Disaster and Development, Environmental Justice, Gender Studies, Sanskrit, Experiential Learning, History of Architecture, History of Art, Archaeology, History of Astronomy, Material Culture, Epigraphy, Political Theory, Political Philosophy
1A. The applicant should have a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate and not only in the majoring subject or an equivalent C.G.P.A on a 10-point scale (55% or equivalent C.G.P.A in aggregate for SC, ST and PD candidates) in their Master’s (MA/MSc/MPhil/BS-MS) Degree, in one or more than one subject which includes Sciences, Anthropology, Archaeology, Cultural Heritage Studies, Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Sanskrit, Sociology, the Fine arts, and allied disciplines.
Applicants from Architecture, Engineering/ Technology, and Medicine are eligible after a Bachelor’s degree
(minimum four years).
Additionally, the candidate MUST have qualified in any ONE of the following exams with any science or humanities/social sciences subject:
- National Eligibility Test (NET) with valid* CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF
- CSIR-UGC NET-LS (from examinations conducted during the years 2020 and 2021)
- NBHM/GATE with a valid* score (*The score/rank MUST be valid at least till August 31, 2022.)
1B. IISER BS-MS (All IISERs) students with a major in one of the subjects mentioned above with CGPA >= 8.0
Candidates in the final year of the qualifying degree are also eligible to apply. However, their final selection is subject to their successful completion of the qualifying degree with the above-mentioned requirements at the time of admission.
Based on the application forms and the above-listed criteria, applicants will be shortlisted for an interview. Candidates shortlisted for the interview will receive a separate email to appear for the interview at the IISER Pune campus. Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates.
- Only online applications are accepted. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for the interview. The department may use additional criteria in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
- For all the national eligibility examinations which provide a common rank/score, the cut-off rank/score for shortlisting for the Interviews for the reserved categories shall be lowered to 1.25 times the General category rank/score.