Admissions for PhD Programme in Earth and Climate Science - January 2022
Candidates Shortlisted for PhD Interviews
The Department of Earth and Climate Science at IISER Pune invites applications from highly motivated students for admissions to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme for the session starting January 2022.
Research Areas (number of positions)
A. Geochemistry (1) (contact Dr. G. R. Tripathy for details)
B. Geophysics (1) (contact Dr. A. Datta for details)
C. Glaciology (1) (contact Dr. A. Banerjee for details)
- Students with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (overall percentage; not only in majoring subject) or CGPA 6 out of 10 point scale (55% or equivalent CGPA in aggregate for SC, ST and PD candidates) in Master’s (or BS-MS) degree in Geology / Applied Geology / Geophysics / Physics / Mathematics / Atmosphere science / Climate Science / Engineering, or related subjects. BE / B.Tech students may also apply. The C.G.P.A cut-off for BE/B.Tech candidates are the same as above. Candidates must have Physics and Mathematics at their BSc or equivalent degree level.
Additionally, the candidate MUST have qualified in any ONE of the following exams:
- National Eligibility Test (NET) with valid* CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF or CSIR-LS / UGC-LS
- INSPIRE-PhD fellowship (The candidate should be in possession of provisional selection letter at the time of interview),
- DAE-JEST or GATE with a valid* score.
*The score/rank MUST be valid at least until February 01, 2022.
- IISER BS-MS students with major in one of the subjects mentioned above with CGPA>=8.0.
For all the national eligibility examinations which provide a common rank / score, the cut-off rank / score for shortlisting for the Interviews for the reserved categories shall be lowered to 1.25 times the General category rank / score.
Selection procedure: Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates.
For position B, a strong background in undergraduate-level physics, mathematics, and computer programming is expected. Additionally, some coursework in seismology (at least one semester) at the graduate level is required. The selected candidate may be required to participate in fieldwork.
For position C, a strong background in undergraduate-level physics, mathematics, and computer programming is expected. The selected candidate is expected to participate in fieldwork in the Himalaya.
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The department may use additional criteria in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.