The PhD programme at IISER Pune is a blend of classroom curriculum and mentoring undergraduate students along with a major research component. IISER Pune admits students to doctoral programmes in Biology, Chemistry, Data Science, Earth and Climate Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics.
Students with a master’s degree in Science / Mathematics or a four-year bacherlor degree with at least 60% marks (aggregate) are encouraged to apply to our PhD programme. In addition to the qualifying degree, we expect the students to have qualified a national examination such as CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/NBHM/JGEEBILS, etc., depending on their area of research interest. Students will be selected to the PhD programme based on performance in the interviews.
Please note that the precise eligibility criterion for each year may vary from department to department and will be announced at the time of intake.
Prime Minister's Research Fellowship (PMRF)
IISER Pune is one of the PMRF granting institutes offering PMRF Fellowship to meritorious PhD candidates. To apply for PMRF through direct entry, the candidate needs to get selected in our regular PhD programme, and the Institute will recommend selected few candidates for PMRF. The final decision will be taken by the National Level Discipline-Specific Selection Committee. Detailed eligibility criteria are mentioned on the PMRF website and the same will be applicable.
Candidates are advised to visit the PMRF website to know more.
Admissions to the PhD Programme (Batch starting in January 2022)
NOTE: In view of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, PhD interviews may be held online. Clear guidelines or any changes in procedure will be provided to candidates shortlisted for the interviews.
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- The candidates must carefully fill and submit the online application form on or before the specified date.
- After the last date, all applications will be screened and candidates selected for interviews will be intimated by email.
Please Note / Important Points / Application Criteria
- All communication with candidates will be by email only.
- Kindly check this website for periodic updates.
- In case of any application related queries, please contact email@example.com with your application number mentioned on the subject line.
- Candidates who are appearing or about to appear for final examinations of the qualifying degree programme are eligible to apply for Integrated PhD programme. However, upon selection, the admission to the PhD programme would be provisional until the candidate fulfills all the eligibility related criteria.
- Selection will be based on interviews of the short-listed candidates.
- Relaxation of eligibility criteria for SC/ST and PD applicants will be as per Government of India norms. Candidates belonging to reserved category will have to submit relevant certificates, if selected.
- For all the national eligibility examinations which provide a common rank / score, the cut-off rank / score for shortlisting for the Interviews for the reserved categories shall be lowered to 1.25 times the General category rank / score.
- Applying does not automatically guarantee that a candidate will be shortlisted for interview. The respective departments may use additional criteria (based on academic performance and/or performance in the national level tests) in order to shortlist candidates for interviews depending on the number of applications received.
Admission procedure for January 2022 batch has been initiated for the following department/s. Eligibility Criteria and application details are given further below on this page, separately for each of the departments.
Earth and Climate Science
The following departments will not be conducting admissions for the January 2022 batch.
Humanities and Social Sciences